Monday, August 25, 2008

Motherhood is 24/7


By the way, in case you didn't know (that's you, men) motherhood is a 24/7 job. But it is so worth it. I wanted my daughter to have a vacation, relax, take it easy, not worry about all of the day to day things she has to deal with. I figured that I could take some or all of the kids for parts of the day, leaving her to sit and eat bon bons...

But with three littles, there wasn't a moment to really relax. Even at the pool or on a hike to pick blackberries (my place is overrun with blackberry bushes!) someone has to go to the bathroom, usually RIGHT NOW! announcing it to the world "Me have to poop!" or fighting with another one, bonking a head, scratching a knee, catching fingers in a door or hanging on Mom for dear life or needing a nose (or other areas) wiped, a drink, food or other attention. Then dinner - who won't eat this or that, who wants the yogurt WITH the cover on and cries hysterically when I stupidly take it off! (WHO KNEW?) Then, bedtime is also fun. Sometimes a story or two works but sometimes no one will stay put. The patter of little feet back to the living room at 10PM is not usually a welcome sound. But worse is the crying in the middle of the night. Poor Mom probably hasn't slept through the night in 6 years!

Sleep deprivation has serious health effects...including "sieve brain" a condition where Moms cannot retain information, finish tasks or concentrate on anything.


One of the things I resented when my kids were little was the complete lack of time for myself. Just to sit, watch TV, paint, stare into space in a daze if I wanted to. Even with two of us working to keep things under control, we wore ourselves out each day. And I have a dishwasher, washer and dryer, microwave and lots of water for showers! My daughter does it all without most of these modern "conveniences". And, for the most part, she does it with grace. Yes, she loses it occasionally and yells at the kids. Who doesn't? But I see how these kids are thriving and I know that she's doing a great job. "Good Job, Mommy!"

No comments: