Saturday, December 27, 2008

It's Christmas...again

It's December 27th. Another Christmas. But the lights of my life, my children and grandchildren still shine for me.

I would do anything for them.

The little one, frequently now a pirate, enjoys Christmas morning, brandishing his foam sword.



The recliner, loaded with presents,becomes Santa's sleigh as we await Christmas eve.





I think the little ones had a wonderful Christmas. For me, I remember when my brothers and I were that age. One year, I remember coming downstairs during Christmas Eve, surprising Santa while he was still assembling toys. I later found out that I just missed him. He was hiding, flattened outside, against the house, in the snow, half-assembled toy in hand, until I was coaxed by my mother to go back to my bed.


Then, I can remember my first Christmas as a new parent with a 6 month old. I made all my ornaments, stockings, bought far more than I should have, tried to be Martha Stewart, you moms know what I'm talking about. Christmas with a child is quite a wonderful event, but exhausting. Looking back, I could have just as well given my daughter empty boxes and she'd have been just as happy.

A couple of years later, when my kids were still too young to read a calendar, I had to postpone Christmas for a couple of days because I was just not ready! I was working so hard that I simply hadn't had time to shop. So, that year Christmas fell on December 27th. (At least I was able to take advantage of all the "after Christmas" discounts!)

So, until next year.

No comments: