Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Driving Home on Election Day!

I am back at my little apartment again after visiting with my family for Halloween. I left late on Election Day so I was able to listen to the results all the way to Grants Pass, OR, where I spent the night, not needing to drive all night. Then this morning, I got on the road, but not until I spilled coffee all over everything in my purse. I had put some coffee into my new thermos and threw it in the purse, but forgot to pop the button that locks the top. C'mon, it was early, I was exhausted. So, two cups of coffee filled my new purse, totally soaking my checkbooks, the purse itself, all of my receipts from the trip and everything else, INCLUDING MY CELL PHONE! I didn't realize that the phone was dead until later when I realized that the charge light wasn't on...

So, I had to lay everything out on the floor of the car, and now the dining room table, to dry, but I don't think I can use the checks anymore...it's not impressive for a company to send checks with a coffee-colored border...

I hosed down the purse, inside and out, in the shower and it sits there now, the lining drying and probably shrinking. We'll see if it is usable ever again. The phone is dead.

About the election: I had not realized how important the election of Barack Obama was to so many voting segments. Everyone was triumphant and hopeful. It reminded me of the election of JFK, the first Catholic President. The Catholics went nuts. They were so happy.

Now, 45 years later, I'm seeing this excitement again. I was listening to the radio for 7 hours this morning as I drove home, and heard the reaction to the election from around the country and the world.

Update on the purse: I later leaned it against my baseboard heater to dry and overdid it a bit. The handle was fried to a crispy doneness. Oh, I'll still use it. It will just look like everything else I own. Beat to hell. I guess I am tough on my things. I've always been this way. I think it's part of lurching through life at high speed.

No comments: