Sunday, June 7, 2009

Ballet Performance for Fuschias!

Today was the spring performance for my six-year old's ballet class. Her group are fuschias and they have beautiful, colorful flower costumes. I'm glad I took my pictures yesterday during rehearsal so that I could sit back and just enjoy the program. It is as if I am getting a second chance to enjoy my children. When my children were little, I went to the performances, took pictures and did all the "mommy" things, but my mind was elsewhere much of the time. Mostly on work. I was very proud of my kids - after all, they were pretty terrific. Now, I am focused on my grandchildren. I'm present, not worrying about the next deal or the next problem.

I find that I don't get angry very much now. Nothing seems worth it. Every moment is precious to me now. Please, you moms and dads, cherish your little children. Trust me. Work is just not that important. It is not your identity. Sometimes it seemed as though I didn't have any time for myself. In fact, I didn't. But I could have made time. I could have focused less on my career and more on my family, including my husband. I never made time for fun. Fun was frivolous. How stupid was I! One time I remember going to the home of friends and finding two squirt guns in the bathroom. It never occured to me that they belonged to the parents, not the kids. They knew how to have fun. They had fun with each other. They didn't have to be so serious all the time. There weren't any squirt guns in my bathroom...


So, you young parents, remember this: your spouse/partner and children are the most important part of your life - they ARE your life. Not work, not friends, not clothes, not money. Your family. So put everything else second. When you are sixty and your kids are grown and gone, you won't be sitting around slapping yourself on the back for that deal you did twenty years ago. And you don't want to be slapping yourself in the forehead for being such a dunce. You'll want to be sitting around remembering the great times you had with your family, making memories.


Really. Trust me on this one...

No comments: